Deputies recover missing boater's body in Greene County | News
GREENE COUNTY, AL (WBRC)- Search crews recovered the body of a missing boater around 10 a.m. Wednesday.
The man disappeared into the Black Warrior River near Lock No. 7 dam Tuesday afternoon when his boat overturned, throwing him and another man into the water.
"The search for Christopher Averett came to a sad conclusion not long after day two for the search for his body began," Freddie Ingram with the Alabama Marine Police said.
Ingram says rescue crews found Averett not far from where he was thrown into the water. Officials say the second boater was able to swim away from the area, which is known for strong undercurrents. They also say neither man was wearing a life vest.
"A life jacket would have definitely helped in this case. It's tragic, I hate it for the family, I hate it for everybody involved but we have these boating rules for a reason," Ingram said. "We try to keep people alive out here."
Marine police will continue to speak with witnesses, the boater who survived and others before filing a report. They say the incident is classified as an accident.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- West Ala. group awarded $3M to help residents pay for heating bills
- Editorial cartoon printed in Univ. of Alabama student newspaper stirs controversy
- Operation Toy Drop donations will arrive by ground this year
- Tuscaloosa expects 50,000 fans during Super 6
- Tuscaloosa authorities need more Operation Toy Drop donations